Baby's age counter

Monday 8 October 2007

Finding a voice

As a relatively new teacher I’ve found that I am still finding my place in my school. I’m developing my voice as it were. I still get stomped down by some members of staff but then you can kind of argue that perhaps I don’t stand up for myself.

I thihnk it might be down to my natural personality. I am not a particularly confrontational person; occasionally I talk as if I am but I don’t really follow through. Sometimes it’s just easier to go along with other people. However after a while people start taking advantage of my good nature, and then I get dragged into things I don’t want to be or I am not consulted on things that I think I should.

The question is which battles to fight and which to ignore. Sometimes it is the stupid little things that make me really mad and it appears daft to confront someone about it. On the other hand if I ever want to gain respect from my colleagues I need to stand up for myself and show that I have a backbone and that I care about things to do with my work. Perhaps this is something you learn as you mature?

No comments: